Bike key 101
- We highly encourage riders to use the Divvy app over bike keys. It’s easy and convenient to unlock a bike using the Divvy app, plus you can find stations, plan your ride and more.
- Bike keys are recyclable! Just drop the key into any plastics recycling bin in Chicago.
How to use your bike key
- To unlock a bike with a key, insert your bike key into the slot on the dock next to an available bike.
- When the light on the dock turns green, the bike is unlocked.
- Pull the bike out of the dock by the handlebars or lift the bike by the seat to release it.
- If you have any problems with your key, log into your account to ensure that your Billing Information is not expired. You can also check that your membership status is ‘Active’ and bike key status is ‘Okay'.
- Then, check to see that you have no open rentals. If you did not successfully dock the bike on your most recent ride, the system will not let you take out another bike until that ride is properly closed.
Need to request a new key?
- If your key is lost or stolen, please contact Divvy customer service, to deactivate your key and prevent fraudulent use. Any fees incurred by your key before you have reported it as lost or stolen will be your responsibility.
- If you would like to receive a new bike key, you can purchase one for $10(+tax) here.
- If you forget your bike key, you can use your credit card to get a temporary ride code. Go to any Divvy kiosk and insert the credit card linked to your account for a one-time-use code (don’t worry, you won’t be charged again). Type this into the keypad on a dock with an available bike. To ride again, insert the same credit card to get a new ride code.
Activate your new key
When you receive a new bike key by mail, you must activate it before you can start using it.
- Log into your account online.
- Click “Activate Your Bike Key”.
- Enter your bike key’s ID code, which can be found right below the barcode
- Under Membership Status you’ll be able to find the status of a key (Look for “OK”).